Employment Services in Switzerland

Switzerland is a wonderfully rewarding country to live and work in, but it’s also a minefield of complex rules and regulations for contractors.

How temporary workers are employed and managed in Switzerland is different from most other countries. Even if you’re already an experienced contractor with knowledge of working elsewhere – then be prepared to throw away the rule book – Switzerland is different!

All employment contracts are regulated by Swiss legislation (labour law). Each employee contributes to the Swiss social security system (old age insurance – first pillar, unemployment insurance, and other cantonal provisions), occupational pension (second pillar – regulated by pension plans). Income from work is subject to taxes that will be paid directly by the employer pay himself or will be withheld from the employee’s salary dependent on their status in the country.

Through the employer, the employee is insured against accidents (occupational and non-professional). A loss of earnings insurance in case of illness is also often taken up by the employer, However, the employee must personally take out private health insurance in Switzerland with rare exceptions to cover the treatment related costs. The Swiss insurance taken out by your employer will thus cover your salary during absences related to the accident or illness.

Swissroll is happy to assist you with the details that apply to you as an individual as well as “softer”, but often more important issues during your stay in Switzerland– such as: What to look out for when renting a flat? Where to learn one of the Swiss national languages. Where you may obtain personal health insurance. How to open a bank account, or buy a train ticket?

Family is important and you may have separate concerns about living in Switzerland. We understand that it can be complicated and different to what you are used to – so let us help to try and make it smoother, and don’t be afraid to ask more than once!

Swiss Legislation relating to employment.

  • This covers several areas, including labour law.
  • A contractor or freelancer cannot work for a Swiss-based company and be paid via a recruitment company based outside of Switzerland.
  • Contractors or freelancers wishing to work for a Swiss-based company must operate through a Swiss employment services management company such as Swissroll, authorised to lease labour in Switzerland.

How can Swissroll help you?

  • Once you have been offered a position in or from Switzerland, Swissroll can employ you through our Swiss payroll solution.
  • We can help you obtain your work permit, arrange tailored personal health cover, and ensure you are fully-compliant with the conditions for living and working in Switzerland.
  • We also support you in administrative steps and reduce the burden of form filling, allowing you to spend your free time enjoying this magnificent country in which you are settled.

Labour leasing in Switzerland is complex, with rules and regulations which specifically govern the way in which temporary workers are employed and managed. Our experience can help you.

In addition, our solutions can help contractors maximise their revenue. We assist contractors to attain more by way of optimum tax planning and income handling both in their home  – and work countries.

Swissroll offers

  • Solutions best suited to the needs of customers and co-contractors; we do not apply a single model for our employees and customers.
  • Our customized solutions are compliant, flexible and uncomplicated.
  • We deliver timesheets, invoicing, payroll and payments systems to ensure we follow the working procedure agreed by the partners.
  • We manage invoices generated and their payment deadlines to ensure that the amount is received fully.
  • Switzerland offers a wide range of banking services that you can also access. We can help you open a bank account in Switzerland, if you wish. We can also pay you to a bank account opened abroad.

The Tri-Partite Relationship

The Process

  • The contractor and Swissroll agrees engagement terms with the client company.
  • Swissroll and the contractor then sign an employment agreement.
  • Swissroll signs a supplier service agreement with the client company under the terms agreed.
  • The contractor is then leased to the client company by Swissroll as the employer.

See our FAQ’s for further commonly asked questions about contracting in Switzerland.